Thursday, July 28, 2011

Summer Lovin'

I arrived home yesterday after a great riding lesson caked in a sticky film of dust and sweat with a ball of frizzy hair piled on my head and I couldn't have been happier.  There's something about this summer that is just so perfect and satisfying that I never want it to end.  I would liken it to that delicious moment when you sink your teeth into a ripe peach.

Contender Peach Tree

Holding the plump orb of a summer peach in your hand, its soft warm skin kissed with the red, yellow and orange blaze of the sun,  you pierce the delicate fruit and release succulent nectar which drizzles to your chin in golden rivulets of syrupy splendor.  My summer has been a lot like that simple but fulfilling pleasure.

This year, I decided not to overbook the kids with activities or other obligations and, with the exception of one week of writer's camp for my daughter, we have spent hours of quality time together.  We're nearing the end of July and I've only heard the dreaded "I'm bored" three times (yes, I'm keeping track).  Instead, the three of us have been playing, enjoying the local pool and getting together with good friends.  At the end of the day, we fall into bed exhausted but looking forward to what adventure the next day has in store for us.

We've also discovered three very nice girls who like to babysit.  What a lucky strike!  Not only will the girls babysit while I go for a ride, but my husband and I have actually been able to enjoy a kid-free meal or two at some of our favorite local restaurants.

Did I mention riding?  Oh, yes, the riding.  Romero, formerly known as Wassachusetts, has been an absolute dream these past few weeks.  One of the finest moments of this summer was the successful trail ride this past Monday.   In fairness to my horse, I've only taken him on a true trail ride - walking the turn out fields after a lesson hardly counts - a handful of times and that was last summer.   With the support of three other women riders and their trail steady horses, Wassachusetts and I rode through the woods, under low branches and into a large open field without incident.  I focused on supporting him with my lower leg while letting the reins hang loose, which, trust me, took some doing on my part since it felt completely and utterly counter-intuitive.

As we made our way through the wooded trails,  I noticed just how reactive my horse was to my body language.  When I got anxious, he would start to arch his neck and jig, but as soon as I relaxed my lower back and hips, the tension in his muscles would almost automatically dissipate.  I also noticed that if I took any hold at all on his mouth or face, he would get nervous and stop focusing on having a rider on his back, but putting a loop in the reins and hugged his sides with my lower leg, made him a happy trail horse again.

When we got back to the barn, I was absolutely ecstatic.  I have no poker face - nor do I try to have one - especially when it comes to riding.  I was beaming that sunny July afternoon, gratefully indulging in one of those delightful, ripe peach moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment