Saturday, April 23, 2011

Dang it!

For weeks and months on end, Wassachusetts has been a superstar.  Everything from his ground manners to his ability under saddle have improved tenfold since I bought him in October of 2009.  I haven't been run away with for at least nine months and it's a rare occasion that my lovely pony decides to crow hop or throw a buck after a fence.  In my mind, Wassachusetts had made great strides and  had become a horse of a different color.  Maybe, just maybe, he had outgrown the title of Green Horse.

Alas, that all changed during our lesson yesterday morning.  Our flat work was fine, but when the jumping portion of our session started...well, let's just say, Wassachusetts had a fine case of Spring Fever.

His head went up like a periscope and he felt like a live wire under the saddle with a lump in his back that would rival any camel's hump.  It was bad news.   Here's a little visual of what it felt like to me:



After whispering a long list of four-lettered sweet nothings into my darling horse's ear, I apologized to my trainer for letting her down and massaged my aching pride.  Not to be completely undone by our performance, Wassachusetts and I will try again today with a lesson at 4pm.  Here's hoping for less drama and better results!

No comments:

Post a Comment